Abstract: Development of murine HA-1 hepatoma was accompanied by increased activity cathepsin B (in ascitic cells), cathepsin D (in ascitic fluid) and increased activity of procathepsin B. There were some changes of cysteine proteinases in liver and spleen, not involved directly into tumor growth. The most prominent changes included the decreased level of cysteine proteinase inhibitors сystatin C and stefin A in ascitic cells (and to a lesser degree in liver tissue). During tumor development serum cystatin C concentration was decreased 3-times compared to intact mice. Treatment by antitumor drug Ukrain increased life span of mice with HA-1 hepatoma (transplanted intravenously), decreased the increment of tumor gain; in ascite the number of tumor cells decreased and number of macrophages increased. Ukrain (administered once or 5-times in a dose of 0.5 mg per mice) increased cystatin C level, revealing protective mechanism of action.
Reference: Poteryaeva O.N., Korolenko T.A., Svechnikova I.G., Zhanaeva S.Ya., Falameyeva O.V., Kaledin V.I., Nowicky J.V., Cysteine proteinases and their inhibitors in murine HA-1 hepatoma during antitumor treatment, Biomeditsinskaya khimiya, 2004, vol:
1. Werle В., Julke В., Lah Т., Kos J., Spiess £., Ebert W. (1997) In.: Proteolysis in Cell Functions (Hopsu-Havu V.K. et al., eds.) IOS Press, Amsterdam et al. pp.472-478 Scholar google search
3. Kos J., Stabuc В., Schweiger A., Krasovec M., Cimerman N., Kopitar- Jerala N.. Vrhovec I. (1997) Clinic. Can. Res., 3, 1815- 1822 Scholar google search
4. Heidtmann H.H., Salge U., Abrahamson M., Bencina M., Kastelic L., Kopitar- Jerala N., Turk V., Lah T.T. (1997) Clin.Exp.Metastasis., 15 (4), 368- 381 Scholar google search
5. Korolenko T. A., Kaledin V.I., Nikolin V.P., Djanayeva S. Ja., Svechnikova I.G., Poteryaeva O.N., Falameyeva O.V., Nowicky J. W. (2000) 5th World Congress on Trauma, Shock, Inflammation and Sepsis.- Munich, Germany, pp. 875- 879 Scholar google search
6. Lah T.T. Calaf G., Kalman E., Shinde B.G., Somers R., Estrada S., Salem E., Russo J., Daskai L. (1996) Breast Cancer Research and Treatment., 39, 221- 233 Scholar google search
7. Abrahamson M., Shane B.F. (1997) In.: Proteolysis in Cell Functions (Hopsu-Havu V.K. et al., eds.) IOS Press, Amsterdam et al., pp. 472- 478 Scholar google search