Abstract: Interrelationship between total, multimer (MM) and oligomer (OM) adiponectin blood concentrations with some metabolic parameters has been investigated in 49 men and 49 women (mean age of 57.3±10.1 years). We have found negative correlations between total blood adiponectin and its MM form content with body mass index, waist circumference, the insulin resistance index HOMA, with blood concentrations of insulin, glucose, free fatty acids, triglycerides and also positive correlations with high density lipoprotein cholesterol content. There was a poor correlation between OM adiponectin concentration with any parameter studied. According to the regression analysis, concentration of total adiponectin but not its MM form was an independent determinant of the HOMA index in women and free fatty acid concentration in men. In the group of men with the low level of adiponectin its MM form but not total adiponectin reversely correlated with the HOMA index and was its independent determinant. Thus, correlation between blood adiponectin concentration and metabolic parameters is associated with its MM rather than OM form. Study of the role of adiponectin in development of metabolic disorders may be limited to determination of total blood adiponectin concentration except a group of male patients characterized by a low level of this adipokine. In these patients concentrations of the MM form should be determined.
Reference: Tanyanskiy D.A., Denisenko A.D., Molecular forms of adiponectin: comparative evaluation of their correlations with parameters of carbohydrate and lipid metabolism, Biomeditsinskaya khimiya, 2012, vol:
5. Arita Y., Kihara S., Ouchi N., Takahashi M., Maeda K., Miyagawa J., Hotta K., Shimomura I., Nakamura T., Miyaoka K., Kuriyama H., Nishida M., Yamashita S., Okubo K., Matsubara K., Muraguchi M., Ohmoto Y., Funahashi T., Matsuzawa Y. (1999) Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., 257, 79-83. CrossRef
19. Chobanian A.V., Bakris G.L., Black H.R., Cushman W.C., Green L.A., Izzo J.L., Jones D.W., Materson B.J., Oparil S., Wright J.T., Roccella E.J., the National High Blood Pressure Education Program Coordinating Committee (2003) Hypertension, 42, 1206-1252. CrossRef
20. World Health Organization Report (1999) Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1: Diagnosis and classificationof diabetes mellitus. WHO, Geneva, 1999.
21. Shestov D.B. (1985) Laboratornoe delo, №6, 381
22. Klimov A.N. (1977) v kn.: Preventivnaja kardiologija (G.I. Kosickij, red.), Medicina, M, s. 260-321